Monday, April 12, 2010

I think I can, I think I can...

Gardening is not my forte. I kill mums in a matter of weeks and you aren't supposed to be able to kill mums. You would think after killing dozens of plants, I would give up but that's just not the case.

This year, I was/am absolutely determined to plant a garden. And because I have orange clay for "dirt," I knew it would be quite the feat. We tilled a 12 foot square in our yard and placed it strategically by the kitchen window so that I would see it every day and remember to water it. The tilling? It sucked because clay likes to be together. If you have it, you understand.

Then we started to build a garden box around the tilled ground, so we can pour topsoil in and keep the deer out. (I like the root vegetables so extra depth was important to me.)

We're hoping to have the box finished tomorrow and the seeds in the soil. I did start some veggies in egg cartons so we're not too far behind.

Hopefully I will be picking fresh lettuce, beets, and green beans (to name a few) soon!

4 comments:

Pamela said...

thank god your kid is not mum.

Danae said...

Haha. I know, right? She's way easier :)

Anna M. said...

You can do it!

It's gonna be awesome! just be sweet to those plants and they'll be sweet for you!

Erica said...

we have poor soil too. I found info on a lazagna garden. You layer newspaper on the grass then grass clippings then brown leaves, then top soil and I added cow manure. Repeat. Just plant as usual. My garden did great. 18' sunflowers, tomatoes, peppers, cukes, zucchini, etc. The raised bed was only 8'x16' and I used cement blocks around the perimeter and planted in the hole too. Herbs-especially those that tend to take over like chives. The kids and I had alot of fun.
Erica