Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Big D word - Divorce

My best friend called me on the phone when we were just 4 years old. I heard something in her voice that I had never heard before. I knew something was seriously wrong. I remember it like it was yesterday. She came over to my house, stood in my driveway and I embraced her. (We lived within walking distance.) "My parents... are getting... their getting a divorce." I didn't know what to do or say. I think I cried with her; if not out loud I definitely cried inside. This was my best friend. How could this happen?

This is a subject that no one wants to talk about. No one wants to think about it. Unfortunately, some don't have a choice. 50 out of 100 couples who get married end up getting divorced. That is an alarming statistic. One that makes my stomach curdle.

I've witnessed some people who think divorce is of the devil... (Bear with me for a minute.)

I was in a church where a lady had gotten divorced a few years back. The pastor made her get in front of the entire church and repent of her sin, repent from being divorced. TO THE CONGREGATION. We obviously left the church after that. Why is that anyone else's business? The poor lady was struggling enough as it was and no one knew the details.

I've seen people, friends and family go through some really harsh times...

My cousin is a beautiful, intelligent, loving and kind lady who had been married for a long time, probably 25 years. She put up with a lot of crap and it pushed her off the deep end. Her husband was an alcoholic who verbally abused her. She tried to make it work and tried to put up with it, but eventually she just couldn't.

Probably the most shocking end to a marriage that I have witnessed was this lovely couple from church. They had been married at least 20 years and were really happy. I was friends with one of their children and spent many nights in their house. The wife/mom brought us a really nice meal, the best stuff shells I've ever had, when my dad was seriously injured at work. They were very involved in church and were always there for anyone who needed anything. She left him for someone else.

One divorce split another church we attended. The wife cheated on the husband, who happened to be the pastor, and it was a mess. 3 beautiful children.

Throughout my life I've seen it and felt some of the pain of those around me, but I could never empathize. My parents are still together. I can not even begin to imagine what it's like to be a spouse or a child going through it.

No comments: